Monday, May 30, 2016

Surpirse!

Leihdeih Hou!

     So this email is going to be on the short side because I am a little lost for words right now. So we got a call from President Lam last night and I thought it was for Sister Dolben since she's going to leave next month, she's sister training leader, etc. Wrong. It was for me! He wanted to call and tell me that I am going to be training starting Wednesday! Surprise! She is from Hong Kong and waiting on her visa, so until she gets her visa, I will be training her. Sister Dolben will still be here and is still senior companion though so that's kinda funny. We're going to be in a trio! I was honestly in shock. I am still in shock. It's just all so sudden! I was mentally preparing myself to possibly train next transfer because Sister Dolben will be going home, but I wasn't expecting it so soon! I can say the Lord has a sense of humor though. You hit highs and lows when learning foreign languages. One day you feel almost fluent and the next you feel like you can't speak the language at all. Recently I have been feeling like my Cantonese is not really improving so I have been praying to the Lord to help me have the gift of tongues and improve my language. What better way to do that than to have me train a bundeih (that's Cantonese for native)! Now I have no choice but to improve my Cantonese haha! She hasn't been to the MTC yet so I have to train her on how to teach lessons, but it's okay because she's going to train me on how to improve my Cantonese. Perfect! :) Sister Redd and Sister Dolben were amazing trainers for me, so I hope I can do the same! I'm glad Sister Dolben isn't leaving me yet! She can still be here to make up for all my weaknesses because I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm excited though! The three of us are going to make some miracles happen in Yuen Long!

     We had zone conference last week with the missionaries in New Territories and Tolo Harbour which was really fun. I love zone conferences/trainings because I always learn so much and receive so much personal revelation! The last training was about how missionary work is hard. Always has been and always will be. Some of the quotes shared were really good but these were my favorites:

I asked for success and God gave me the physical and mental stamina to endure. 
I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong. 
I asked for everything so I could enjoy life. Instead, He gave me life so I could enjoy everything.
I received nothing I wanted. I received everything I needed.

     I think the one that hit me the most was "I received nothing I wanted. I received everything I needed." The scriptures constantly tell us that God knows what we need before we ask, and I am starting to learn the truth behind those words. I may want "success" in finding people to teach or higher numbers or progressing less actives/investigators, but Heavenly Father knows what I need. I need faith, patience, humility, diligence, basically all the Christ-like attributes. I need challenges so that I can learn and grow, build my testimony, rely on Him more, etc. I know He knows me better than I know myself. I know He knows what I need so that I can become a better missionary and disciple of Jesus Christ. The same is true for all of you. You may want certain things to happen a certain way, but Heavenly Father knows what you need. Most of the time what you receive is not tangible, but that's okay. Trust in Him. He knows what's best for you and what will help you become one step closer to returning to live in His presence.  

     I hope all of you have an My week is definitely going to be exciting for sure. I can't wait to share more with you next week! I love you all!
Scripture of the Week: Matthew 6:32-33 God knows what you want before you ask for it, so be willing to receive His will first. He knows what you want, but do you know what He wants?
Quote of the week: The Lord doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called. 

Sister Maggie Shiffert


Our MTC group from New Territories and Tolo Harbour at zone conference ​(but we're missing Sister Wilcox!)



Now this is what you think of when you think of Hong Kong! I love Tsim Sha Tsui!

Typical Asian pose! 


Next time I post pictures, there will be three of us!

Dinner with the Chan Family!

This bug was in our room and freaked us out. Who wants to tell me what is the world this creature is? I wish I could post the video of a bunch of sisters trying to kill it. Hilarious!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment