Sunday, May 15, 2016

Changes and Positivity

Leihdeih Hou!

     I hope all of you had a good week this past week! Stay cool and wear bug spray! That's what I've learned this past week haha! :) It's been a good week this past week! The work is moving along at what I think is a slow pace, but I think it's the pace that the Lord wants us to go at right now. At this past zone training, we had a really good training about success and what defines a successful missionary. Our zone leader Elder Anderson made the point that our success depends on our attitudes. If we consistently have positive attitudes then we can help an infinite amount of people come unto Christ. Sister Dolben and I have been reading "A Successful Missionary" from Chapter 1 of PMG every night and even though our numbers may not show it, we are successful by the end of the day. It includes a checklist or what makes you successful (obey with exactness, follow the Spirit, serve others, testify of Christ, etc)  and none of the qualifications have anything to do with numbers. If we look at our numbers the past few weeks, they are lower than what we would like, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that we are diligently serving the Lord and doing His work. I have to remind myself that everyone has their agency, but it's my responsibility to at least give them the opportunity to hear about the gospel. The life of a missionary is definitely full of ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. All the experiences I have just make me a better person and bring me that much closer to the Savior. Never underestimate the power of a positive attitude! 

     So yesterday the stake president announced the growth of the church in Hong Kong. We have 4 stakes right now, but at the beginning of June, we are going to have 6 stakes! That's crazy! I remember my mission president telling me about it in my interview when I first got here and now it's happening. It's so exciting! I have a feeling Yuen Long won't be in the New Territories stake anymore though which is sad. The stake president said we have 8 wards in our stake and 2 are leaving and Yuen Long is on the edge of the stake borders so it's more than likely we are the ones leaving. I love being part of the New Territories so it's sad to possibly be leaving, but I also am excited to see all these changes happening. The bishop has also told us there is a good possibility that our ward will be split in half. That's also exciting but also really sad because I love every one of the members in our ward! I don't want to leave any of them! Change like this is good though. It's crazy how fast the work is moving forward in Hong Kong! Wards are splitting, stakes are forming. I'm proud to be able to say that I've had a small part in helping the Lord do His work here. And the work is only going to continue to move forward and grow! Net stop, mainland China! :) 

     I'm afraid there's not much to say this week, but there are a lot of pictures :) We had a lot of cheng-outs which means we are treated to a meal. One was with the investigator A-Jan who taught us how to cook a whole fish. One was with a member named Sister Kong who is from Micronesia but he husband is from Hong Kong. I learned how to make a really good pumpkin soup so I'm going to have to try it out sometime! And another cheng-out was with Jung Family. The parents are deaf so Sister Dolben and I were able to learn some Chinese sign language which was nice! I always feel bad that we have so many deaf people in our ward but I can't communicate with them because I don't know sign language. But I'm going to learn some! 

     I also went on exchanges with Sister Hansen and took charge of Yuen Long for 24 hours. She came in the MTC group after me so she's still training right now. I had a little taste of what it's like to be a trainer so that was fun! Sister Dolben has also made me senior companion for the week (I'm not really just in teaching lessons and planning and stuff), so now I get to really experience what it's like to be in charge of an area. All of this is good for me though. It makes me come out of my comfort zone and grow a little more. I just hope this isn't foreshadowing for the next transfer!

     I hope all of you have a great week! Thank you for all your support and prayers! Even on the other side of the world I can feel your love :) Talk to you next week!
Scripture of the Week: John 5:30 Jesus Christ and His Atonement is the ultimate example of humility. Strive to follow His example and develop that same humility.
Quote of the Week: Humble yourself before you have to walk through the valley of humility (Elder Steven E. Snow)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


​So A-Jan (the investigator who we visited to learn how to cook) taught us how to chop a whole fish in half and prepare it for a soup. 


​Us with A-Jan


​We had a member treat us to lunch including a whole fish, pumpkin soup, and chicken wings. I think the Lord wants me to learn to like fish so He gave it to me twice this week haha! 


We had zone training and made an apartment lunch :)​


Me on exchanges with Sister Hansen!​


​We had dinner with Jung Family again this week! (The parents are both deaf)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment