Monday, May 23, 2016

Fun in the Sun

Leihdeih Hou!

     This week has been a lot of fun, but also very hot. I am beginning to experience what a Hong Kong summer is like, and this is only mild weather right now. Luckily I'm used to the heat and humidity, but Hong Kong is a whole other level of hot and humid in my opinion. We'll try to stay cool though! 

     We went district finding this past week trying to promote our English Class. We just walked around a little area and tried to stop people and give them flyers if they were interested in attending. I have found some more ups and downs to being Chinese in Hong Kong. The up is that people are more willing to talk to me then some of the America elders in our district, so if they pass by the elders, I can try and talk to them and share about the gospel. The down is that sometimes the elders would almost end up street contacting me because I look Asian from behind. It's ok. Sister Dolben almost did that to me on the train as well. I just fit right in!  

     I love our district so much! I know I don't talk about them as much but they seriously are amazing. Part of the reason I would me sad to move away in because that would mean leaving our district. We have a new district leader, Elder Ashton, and he came up with this amazing analogy between Captain America and Jesus Christ's Atonement. I am not going to give what he said justice, but I will try my best. So Captain America is trying to get into the army but this one guys sees him and says he's going about it the wrong way so he tries this experiment where he gives Captain America a serum that gives him super strength and makes him the amazing person his is. Well, when putting this in gospel terms, this extra strength from an outside source is the grace of Jesus Christ. If we rely on His grace, we can overcome any challenges and become just as amazing as Captain America. He couldn't do it by himself. He had to have help from someone else in order to accomplish everything he accomplished. The same applies to us. We can't do everything on our own, but with the grace of Jesus Christ, we can do any and everything. When I heard this, I thought it was such a cool analogy and I never thought of it that way. We aren't all going to become Captain America, but we can all become like Jesus Christ.

     I hope all of you have a great week and enjoy summer! It's crazy to think of how fast this school year has gone. I love you all!
Scripture of the Week: 3 Nephi 9:14 The Savior's merciful is always extended out towards us. We just have to reach out and grab it. 
Quote of the Week: The greater the distance between the giver and the receiver, the more entitled the receiver feels (Elder Dale G. Renlund)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


​Pizza Hut with some members and Nikki's little sister Amber that we will hopefully start teaching!



Korean Barbecue from last week!​


We went into the city to eat Korean Barbecue and this is the Wan Chai chapel. It's fancier than any American church building!​




​Pretty skylines of Hong Kong. I love the city!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment