Thursday, February 11, 2016

San Lihn Faailohk! Happy New Year!

San Lihn Faailohk! Happy New Year!

     Our P-Day was moved because of Chinese New Year (which is why I'm emailing today), so it was a normal day for us, but it was still awesome! Obviously Chinese New Year is so different and amusing from the way it's celebrated in America. So this is what Chinese New Year is like in Hong Kong!

     First of all, this is the equivalent of our Christmas so everyone is super busy and stressed trying to get things done, but they are also in a cheerful mood. And it is not a one day thing. No one can give me an exact day of when it ends, but I know celebrations last for about a week. Everyone cooks and eats and visits their family, including family in mainland. I can't tell you how many people I have met and talked to who are visiting family members in mainland for the new year. It also kills me because the kids were all dressed in their traditional silk Chinese outfits, and it was soooooo cute! I wish I could 
 
     They love to decorate for Chinese New year too. The most common thing I see is orange bushes and chrysanthemums. I think they mean good luck, but they are everywhere! They sell them everywhere and you see people carrying them back to their houses all the time. It's kinda funny. Chinese people also love their butter cookies (you know the shortbread cookies you get in the blue tin at Christmas time? Those cookies.) and Ferrero Rocher chocolates at this time of year. There are sooo many varieties of both and people buy them like their candy. Their not exactly cheap here either, but hey, I can go with it!

     We didn't get to celebrate like the locals, but a lion dance as going on somewhere near our apartment. We couldn't see it because of the trees, but we could hear it loud and clear! So I guess that's close enough! We also saw some fireworks that night and the other day I heard them go off during the daytime. Honestly, Chinese New Year felt more like a new year than our American new year. Haha! I've apparently adopted to the Chinese culture and way of life. 

     We wanted to go out and eat actual Chinese food for Chinese New Year so we went out for dinner. I thought it would be super crowded but it was the exact opposite. Literally all the local shops and food places for closed and the only places open were food cahins like McDonalds and KFC. I was not about to have American food on Chinese New Year, so luckily we found a restaurant that was still open. So I got my traditional Chinese food :)

     Chinese New Year was/is so much fun! I can't wait for the other holidays they have coming up! I hope all of you have a great week and I will talk to you on Monday! 
Scripture of the Week: Ether 1:15-16 The Lord hears your prayers and will bless you according to your faith. However, we have to keep in mind we will receive the answer to our prayers in His time. 
Quote of the Week: Remember that faith and doubt cannot exist in the same mind at the same time for one will dispel the other. 

Sister Maggie Shiffert

Happy New Year! Year of the Monkey!


​Companion unity on Chinese New Year!


Decorations for new years

​Orange bushes!


​Yay for deep cleaning the apartment in preparation for the new year!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment