Monday, February 29, 2016

Bittersweet Week

Leihdeih Hou!

     Well, I guess first things first. I'm still in Yuen Long and I have a new companion named Sister Dolben. She from England and was actually in the same MTC group as Sister Redd. Sister Dolben is awesome! She is super sweet and really relaxed and go with the flow which is a good balance for when I become a stress-ball.We are determined to make some miracles happen in Yuen Long! Sister Redd got transferred to Jeun Sau Wan (don't know about that spelling, but it's in Kowloon). I knew I was likely going to stay in Yuen Long and Sister Redd was going to leave, but I guess that reality didn't really hit me until she got her move call. I miss her so much! She taught me so much and was an awesome trainer/companion. The thought of her leaving and me being in charge until Sister Dolben can get used to the area is terrifying. She doesn't know the area or people in it and I don't know what I'm doing haha! We can learn and get lost together :)

     The other exciting thing is week was the visit from Elder Gary E. Stevenson! It is always so powerful to hear an apostle speak in person. The Spirit is so strong and you can feel his love. We had a group mission picture taken with him (all 147 of us!) and we got to shake his hand, so that was pretty awesome! He talked a lot about a worldwide missionary broadcast that we had last month so I'm afraid a lot of what I learned would pertain more to missionaries than to you, but he did share some other awesome insights! He said not to let little things that bother us get in the way of your mission (or life). That is so true. This mission is so short. Life's too short. Be happy and give all your worries to the Lord. He also pointed out how many promised blessings are in the scriptures. There is a common scripture that says, "Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Knock and it shall be opened unto you. Amen." If we took out the promised blessings, it would say "Seek. Ask. Knock. Amen." There are so many blessings promised to us in the scriptures, so keep an eye out for them.
  
     Our investigators and less actives are progressing which is so exciting. They may not be coming to church, but they progressing in their own ways, so here's a mini miracle for the week. We have one less active Jessie who wants to change her life and come to church, but she is scared to come because of a bad experience in her past ward (that's why she went inactive). However, she came to English class on Saturday which is a huge step for her! She really enjoyed it and I saw a happier side of her I haven't seen before. After English class, the Yuen Long 2 ward was having a family history program and Jessie actually got excited about it and wanted to go. She stayed with one of the members and they went together. I almost died of shock when I saw her walk in the church doors for English class and then she surprised me again when she wanted to stay for the family history program. We have been working with her for about 2 months and I can see the Lord is definitely working with her too. Missions are not the easiest things in the world to do, but it is so comforting to know we are not alone in the work. This is the Lord's work and he is not going to say "Ok here's my work. Now go do it for me." No, He is right beside us helping these investigators and less actives progress and find that path to eternal happiness.  

     I hope all of you have a great week! I will talk with you next Monday! I love you all!
Scripture of the Week: Mosiah 4:19 Are we not all beggars? Doesn't everyone need something? A helping hand, telephone call, a smile? Reach out to people!
Quote of the Week: Turn to Him and your prayers will be answered (Elder James B. Martino)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


One last selfie with our apartment group! Sister Redd moved to Kowloon and Sister Christensen went home!


Me with Sister Dolben​

Sister Redd and I with Jessie!
​​
When you get a slice of pizza bigger than your head... This is what we ate after the devotional with Elder Stevenson.

 
 Previous Next
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment