Sunday, February 21, 2016

Week of Adventures

Leihdeih Hou!

     So this is my adventure for the week. I got a call from the 1st counselor in the bishopric Tuesday night and he asked me to give a talk this Sunday (yesterday). This was a huge shock because here, they give you notice about a month before. And they give you a talk from general conference as your main resource to base your talk on, and I wasn't able to get the conference talk until Thursday night. So if you think preparing a talk within less than 72 hours is hard in English, try doing it in Cantonese! Apparently the origianl person cancelled so the bishop said ask a missionary to take his place, so I was the lucky one lol! I think it went ok. I know my pronunciation is still pretty bad, but hopefully they were able to have the gift of interpretation of tongues so they could understand me. The topic was about sharing one another's burdens and serving others, so that was a tender mercy!  

     So we have a new investigator, but I have going to have to brush up on my Spanish because she is from Venezuela and only speaks Spanish with a little bit of Cantonese and English (very little). Her name is Isabella and her husband is from Hong Kong. He travelled to Venezuela and me her there. She has been in Hong Kong for 4 months. We met them last week when they brought their 3 year old son to English class. Her husband doesn't have interest in the church right now (too busy with work), but Isabella has so much interest and loves how family oriented our church is. She is so ready to hear this gospel, I just hope we can teach her despite our language barrier. Her husband cal translate though so that's helpful. 

     I don't think you are a true missionary until you get caught in the rain without an umbrella. Well, that was me and Sister Redd this week. We went to visit some investigators out in the boonies when it started to rain. And rain. And rain. And rain some more. And we were not expecting this, so neither of us had an umbrella. Luckily Sister Redd absolutely loves the rain and will never use umbrellas. I don't mind the rain, but kinda wish I had my umbrella haha! We were definitely soaked, but it just made the adventure more interesting! 

     This past Saturday, we did an activity with the missionaries, Young Men, and Young Women in the stake where they joined us for a couple of hours to experience missionary work.They all came to Yuen Long and Sister Redd and I went on exchanges so we would cover two lessons. And guess who I was paired with... Sister Leonard! Reminiscent of MTC days except for this time, we were actually able to understand most what was being said haha! 

     Tonight we are hearing from one of the new apostles Elder Gary E. Stevenson and I am so excited! I will let you know next week how it goes! And we also have transfers this week, so you can find out if I stay in Yuen Long or go somewhere else. Lots of exciting things in next week's email! I love all of you (even if I am slacking in responding to your emails) and I hope you have an awesome week!
Scripture of the Week: Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me 
Quote of the Week: If actions speak louder than words, what do you think a smile can do?

Sister Maggie Shiffert


​Us with Isabella and her husband 


​Reunited with Sister Leonard!


​Us with our Yound Woman named Kelly 

The bakery called this bread "Hello Panda". There was no way I was passing up an opportunity to eat this! And there was something similar to brownie batter in the middle, so I was quite happy :)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment