Monday, February 15, 2016

The Past Couple Weeks

Leihdieh Hou!

     P-Days have been a little crazy lately, but here has what's been going on the past couple weeks!

    I had my first 24-hour exchange and I loved it! So you switch companions for 24-hours and one companion goes to a different place and one stays in their area. I stayed in Yuen Long and Sister Redd went to Tuen Muen. I was paired with Sister Wilcox and I learned so much. I never would have thought that they would put two new missionaries together, but I guess the Lord needed for me to prove to myself that I'm better than I think and to build some self-confidence. I taught I wouldn't know what to do or where to go because I'm new to the area, especially compared to Sister Redd, but we made it and we had a lot of success. Sister Wilcox is awesome and I learned a lot from her. We both have different ways of doing missionary work, especially with finding, but Tuen Moon is having a lot of success so I was willing to see how they do things. She and her trainer are more casual and talk to only a couple people whereas Sister Redd and I are more persistent and talk to everyone. I know there is not one "right" way, but I'm glad we have 24's because we can learn from each other. I learned that we probably need to really listen to the Spirit more in finding the Lord's elect. I wish we did 24-hour exchanges more often because they are awesome!

     We have been having a lot of success lately with finding new investigators. Sister Redd and I have really been wanting Yuen Long to grow and we have been trying to find ways to help it grow. This past Sunday we had an investigator literally walk in the church door ready to meet us. Her family was in town for New Year's and they are members. They were coming to church and invited Jasmine to join them. Jasmine is 17 years old and really interested in what makes our church different from other churches. We taught her last night about the Restoration and she had a lot of good questions for us. She is definitely prepared and she accepted a baptism date for March 27! We have been finding prepared people everywhere recently, and it is so good to be able to help these people overcome their challenges and learn how they can follow the Savior and rely on Him. We have been working and praying really hard about how to help Yuen Long grow and find new investigators, and I know that because we always had faith and worked diligently, the Lord is blessing us with all these miracles. 

     The Cantonese is improving (I think lol). I still feel like I'm at the same level I was in the MTC, but it's harder to see improvement in yourself. People compliment me on it, and since honesty is the first policy here (no matter how blunt), I guess I can say I've improved. It's also funny because now I have the hardest time saying prayers or bearing my testimony in English. I have to really think about it and translate from Cantonese to English in my brain. I never understood why return missionaries would say it's hard speaking English again because they sounded fine to me, but now I know how hard they had to think about the English. It's crazy, but interesting. 

     You can read a little more about the past couple of weeks in my photo captions, including a traditional Chinese New Year dinner (we ate it on New Year's Eve), eating at members houses, and visiting the Hong Kong Museum! I hope all of you have an awesome week this week! Stay warm! It was really hot and humid last week, but now I've back in my winter coat. And I thought Georgia was bipolar... I love you all!
Scripture of the Week: 1 Nephi 15:8-11 When you have any challenge, no matter how big or small, and you are stuck, ask yourself, "Have I inquired of the Lord?" 
Quote of the Week: The Lord has His timing as to when to give revelation to us (Elder Claudio R. M. Costa)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


​24 hour exhanges with Sister Wilcox!

We went to the Hong Kong History Museum which had the history of New Territories and Bruce Lee. It was such a cool place to go to. These are all the sister in our apartment. And this is a giant fortune cookie where you try to get paper airplanes to get stuck in it (I think you make a wish too but I'm not sure).
I could be the next Bruce Lee! (Just kidding...)

We're ready to fight for the salvation of these souls!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment