Sunday, January 31, 2016

Who Says A Mission Can't Be Entertaining?

Leihdeih Hou!

     So something I've had to explain more than usual this week is where I'm form. If people guess, they usually guess Korea. If they ask where I'm from and I say America, they're confused because I look Chinese haha! So I have my explanation down to a science now. I explain I am from America but I was born in China and my parents adopted me. And then because I don't think adoption is common around here, I have to explain my parents are American not Chinese. It definitely a nice conversation starter!

     Also, we have a new investigator! He name is Lam Poh Po and she is the cutest grandma haha! The We went with the ward to clean some nonmember's houses in preparation for Chinese New Year next week, and we helped Lam Poh Po. She loves to read the Bible and pray and talks a lot about the Bible. So scriptures are the way to her heart! But she wasn't really interested in a Book of Mormon but I know once she reads it, she'll love it just as much as the Bible. WE just have to help her see that reading both the Bible and Book of Mormon can bring her so much more happiness in her life.

     The poh pos here are so funny! I never had this happen until now but I've been waiting for it. We met Ngai Poh Po last week who is a very strong in the Baaisahn religion (similar to Buddhist). We taught a lesson to her but she is from mainland and her Mandarin accent was so thick it was hard to understand her Cantonese (she would also throw in Mandarin words and speak Mandonese lol!). We decided the Mandarin elders would be a better fit for her so we went with them to introduce them to Ngai Poh Po. There was one point where she was saying something to the Mandarins but they didn't understand her (no one understood what she was saying at all), so she turns to the only Asian in the room (me) and starts spitting out all this Chinese like I could help her out and translate for all the Americans in the room. It was so funny! I've been waiting for something like this to happen, and now I can say it has! Haha!

     This mission has been amazing so far and I absolutely love it! For those of you you are considering a mission, do it!!! I promise you won't regret it! You don't realize all the blessings the Lord has is store for you, until you serve Him. I have learned and grown so much and I honestly can't believe it is February already! Time is going by so fast but I am treasuring every moment I can. I love all of you and I hope you have an awesome week!
Scripture of the Week: Jacob 4:10 Never give counsel to the Lord; always receive counsel from the Lord. He knows where you're future is going and what is best for you. 
Quote of the Wee: When you have shown your willingness to obey, the Spirit will send you more impressions of what God would have you do. (Henry B. Eyring)

 Sister Maggie Shiffert


Helping Lam Poh Po clean her house

Some of the sisters in the New territories zone during our temple day last week!

My companion is adorable!



​Temple days are the best days!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment