Monday, November 2, 2015

With All Your Heart, Mind, Might, and Strength

Leih Hou! Leih hou ma? (Hello! How are you?)

     I left you all last week with great anticipation as to who would be speaking at our worldwide MTC devotional... turns out it was Elder Neil L. Andersen! The cool thing was that we were singing "The Lord Is My Light" when he walked in and the Spirit immediately filled the room and it was SO strong. Even our singing was filled with the Spirit. It was great! Elder Andersen gave a fantastic talk about sacrifice, opposition, adversary, and deliverance. These were some of my favorite highlights from his talk.


- We must give something up to become something more. 
- Don't ask "What can I get from my mission?" but "What can I give?"
- 2 Nephi 2:11 There is opposition in all things.


- During opposition, we need to be like trees in the wind and become even stronger to resist it.
- The adversary is committed to our failure, but he is just an irritant that can never do great things.
- Doctrine and Covenants 3:8 If you want suffering relieved, you have to go to the Lord. 
- when we want to talk to God, we pray. When we want God to talk to us, we read our scriptures.


Since I have never heard an apostle give a talk live and been in the same room as him, it was an awesome experience. If they can have an apostle for Halloween (not really but close enough!), then surely they will have one come speak to us around Thanksgiving. we'll see! :)

     On Wednesday our district had the chance to host new missionaries coming in. It was so much fun! I loved every part of it! (But carrying 3 bags of luggage was a little on the difficult side haha!) We welcomed them to the MTC, helped them get their books, room key, ID, etc., dropped their stuff off at their room, and took them to class. It reminded me of my first day at the MTC. I hosted sisters who were going to Taiwan, Italy, Florida, Nebraska, and somewhere else I don't remember (oops!). 

     The language is coming along nicely. sister Leonard and I are getting to the point where we don't use our books as much and we teach by the Spirit more and more. Even though I have bad grammar and broken Cantonese, the investigators are still getting a basic understanding of what I am trying to say and more importantly, feeling the Spirit. I am surprised by how quickly some of the Cantonese is coming along, but I know it's the Lord helping me, that I am not alone in this. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for Him!

     This week has been a roller coaster of emotions for me, but luckily I have been blessed with a wonderful companion who is super caring and loving! (BTW she is feeling better! Yay!). The topic for our mission conference yesterday was families and how God and this gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families. Here is what I learned: The Lord will flood the earth with truth and righteousness to gather his elect and bring them unto Zion. The Book of Mormon is the truth and us missionaries are the righteousness. My service will bless and strengthen my family. I cannot hold anything back because the Lord needs all of me to fulfill His work. Our charge as missionaries is not to find individuals. Our charge as families is to find families. I know I am where I need to be. My mission is to bless my family and the families of my investigators in Hong Kong. I truly believe that being apart from my family for 18 months is so worth it if it means that someone can be with their family for eternity.
     There is so much more I would love to say but know that I love all of you so much and I miss you! The blessings in your lives will come. You just have to wait on the Lord's timing :)












Quote of the week: Turn to Him and your prayers will be answered. - James B. Martino
Scripture of the week: Doctrine and Covenants 84.

Mormon message of the week: The Refiner's Fire

Sister Maggie Shiffert

P.S. I didn't get to mention before that I broke my camera my first week here but I got a new one so sorry for the flood of pictures that are coming your way! 

I love to see the temple!

My view every Monday morning after attending the temple. 

I love my tuhngbuhng! (that's Cantonese for companion)






Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment