Monday, November 23, 2015

Happy (Early) Thanksgiving!

Leih Hou!

     I'm afraid this week was not super exciting so this will be a relatively short email. However, Thanksgiving is on Thursday so I'm sure my email next week will make for for this week! :) 

     Here is a funny story! So tones and pronunciation are very important in speaking Cantonese. As we learned the other week, the word "kaisih" (k-eye-see) means revelation, but "keisih" (kay-see) means racism. So we were practicing teaching in class and Sister Leonard and I were teaching Sister Adams and Sister McNeely. It was our turn to be the investigators, so Sister Adams and Sister McNeely were teaching us about prophets and how they lead and guide us today. I asked them how they teach us about Christ and Sister Adams said "Taugwo keisih" meaning through racism. I have never seen our teacher turn around so quickly after hearing that as if to ask "What did you just say?!" I'm surprised he didn't get whiplash haha! Sister Adams didn't realize what she said until after Sister Leonard, Sister McNeely, our teacher, and I completely lost it. It was SO funny. Obviously she meant to say "through revelation" and just had a slip of the tongue. Not exactly the message you want to share with investigators, but I have been waiting for someone to do that ever since we have know the difference between revelation and racism. 

     This week in the language department has been very interesting. We went into a lesson with one of our investigators, but my companion took over because I understood absolutely NOTHING. I couldn't understand what my investigator or companion was saying. Even the simplest sentences sounded foreign to me. I was completely mute because I didn't know what was going on. And it has been that way the past couple days. I don't know what is going on. It's like I haven't been in the MTC or almost 6 weeks. I would be lying if I said it wasn't super frustrating. How am I supposed to help people if I can't understand them? I know all of this is for a reason. The Lord is giving me this obstacle and I know there is something I am supposed to get out of it. I just don't know what yet. However, it's a new week and I'm going to work harder than ever! They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I have a feeling that this challenge is going to do just that. It's probably preparing for the field and teaching to make patience and have faith in the Lord. I talked to my teacher about what I need to do and one thing he advised me on was that the Lord believes in me, my teacher believes in me, but I have to believe in me. So no matter what trials we face, it's just as important to believe in ourselves as it is to believe in the Lord. As Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."

     So last night, I watched "Joseph Smith:The Prophet of the Restoration" (the most recent version) and the Spirit was soooooo strong throughout the movie. Even if you are not a member, this is a great movie to see how The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was restored and established on this earth. My testimony of Joseph Smith and this church just grew by a thousand! In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I can truly say that I am so eternally grateful for Joseph Smith and this church. He was put through so many trials, persecutions, and heartache, but throughout it all, he was still 110% faithful to the Lord and His plan for him. He was not perfect, but he is an amazing example of the Christlike attributes we all need to possess. His faith was greater than that of anyone. He was humble in submitting to the Lord's will. He loved everyone. He was selfless and showed kindness towards those who persecuted him. He loved this church so much that he lost his life. He was truly a prophet called by God. Watching this movie reminded just how true this church is and how amazing Joseph Smith was as a prophet. This church is such a blessing in my life and I am so grateful that Joseph Smith restored it. This church is true. There is no doubt in my mind.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Count your blessings! Be grateful! I will talk with you next week! :)

Scripture of the Week: 1 Corinthians 13:2-8,13 Charity is the pure love of Christ. It doesn't mean love Christ, it means love others like Christ would love them.
Quote of the Week: If things go well, look to God. If things go wrong, look to yourself. This is the beginning of humility. (David A. Bednar)
Video of the Week: Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration (the most recent one)

Gamyanjit Faailohk! Happy Thanksgiving!
Sister Maggie Shiffert

Lacking in pictures this week, but here is a beautiful drawing sister Leonard and I made during companionship study. We called it companionship bonding :)

Print Friendly and PDF Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment