Monday, November 30, 2015

All is Whale, All is Whale

Leih Hou!

     Outside of Thanksgiving, this week has been pretty entertaining. Our district decided to so an English fast which means we don't speak any English that day, only Cantonese. It was definitely a challenge because you had to talk around words you didn't know and it takes twice as long to get your thoughts out, but I actually really liked it! I even did a couple on my own because it is so helpful. I shows me what I do and don't know and helps with my fluency. We are going to be on a 24/7 English fast in two weeks (SO crazy to think about!), so we better get used to it now!

   We also woke up to a wonderful surprise of snow on Saturday morning! And it is still here today, so needless to say, I have had my fun this past couple of days :) I love the snow soooooooo much, and we don't get enough of it in Georgia so I am making up for lost time haha! 

     So here is my funny tones story for the week, and this time it's about me! Ok, so "mahn" means to ask but "màhn" means to smell. This whole time, I thought "to ask" had the low falling tone, but I didn't realize this difference until now. So when I taught my investigator about prayer, I said, "I know that if you smell God, He will answer you prayers." Hahaha! I almost died of laughter when I realized what I have been telling my investigators! Never underestimate the importance of tones in Cantonese! Also another fun fact we learned: rhino in Cantonese translates to amazing cow. 

    Sister Adams randomly drew a whale on our board the other day, and as the days have gone by, we have been coming up with whale puns (hence the title of my email this week lol). I have attached the picture of what we have come up with so far, so if you need a good laugh and corny humor, go check it out!

     This is just an FYI. the last day I would recommend send me any letters or packages is this Friday December 4th. Because of snail mail and the day of my departure, I probably would sadly be in Hong Kong by the time anything arrived if sent after that date.
      
     I love all of you and hope you have a wonderful week this week!

Scripture of the week: Alma 38:9 Christ is the light and life of this world, the word of truth and righteousness. Learn of Him because it is through Him that we are saved.
Quote of the week: We do not have to be perfect, but we need to be good and getting better (Elder Kim B. Clark)
Video of the Week: A Savior Is Born (check it out at christmas.mormon.org

Sister Maggie Shiffert


Me with my mini snowman that looks like an owl lol (I tried...)

We love playing in the snow at night!


I love my tuhngbuhn! :)


Part of our zone at the temple walk.
*****SNOW*****


​Only 14 days left until I'm in HK!​


All of our whale puns!
​​
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment