Sunday, August 28, 2016

Like, Like, Like

     Things have been going good in Yuen Long, but I am a little worried about Alice. We were only able to meet with her once this week and we were going to teach her about tithing/fasting but we ended up reviewing the baptismal interview questions instead. Logistically we really needed to continue to teach the commandments, but we really needed to see where Alice's testimony was first. She has something little with each commandment that she has to overcome. She's working on overcoming these challenges because she wants to keep the commandments, but she is struggling with the Word of Wisdom because she loves green tea flavor drinks/foods. She hadn't prayed to overcome this weakness yet so we encouraged her to do so this week. I have faith that she can do it, but I hope she has faith that she can do it! Alice is so awesome and I am going to continue to pray for her!

     We had another less active surprise us this week! During sacrament meeting, our less active Wu Ji Muih came to church which was a total miracle! I literally could not close my mouth for a while there I was in so much shock haha! I have only see her twice and both times it was just a quick hello. She has a full time job and is working on her bachelor's degree so she is always super busy. Actually, last week we ran into her on the train and when we talked to her we invited her to church. She said she might come but wasn't sure, and then she shows up during sacrament meeting! She's too busy to meet with us this week, but I am taking her coming to church as a good step in the right direction :)

     Sister Luk and I realized something this week though while finding. We started this Book of Mormon challenge about a week after Sister Luk started her mission and the Book of Mormon has been the main focus of our finding ever since. Well, this week we ran out of Books of Mormon while finding (the best worst problem you could have as a missionary lol!) We still had an hour left so we just continued finding. Sister Luk is super amazing at finding by giving out Books of Mormon, but I realized I have not trained her how to go finding without trying to give away a Book of Mormon! We would start out by asking people about the Book of Mormon but then realize we don't have a Book of Mormon to refer to, so Sister Luk would be at a loss for words lol To be honest, it felt very weird for me as well. The past two months we have been focusing so much on the Book of Mormon that I almost forgot how to go finding without making the Book of Mormon the central focus. We are going to fix that this week though! When we go finding, we are going to try not starting out with the Book of Mormon but maybe family, church, Restoration, etc. and then bringing the Book of Mormon into it later.

     In other news, Sister Luk has pointed out to me that when I speak Cantonese, I say the word "like" all the time. I had no idea I was doing that but she thinks it's funny because I don't say "like" when I speak English and it's only if I am just having casual conversation not in lessons or in prayers. For example I would say "Nogh mhjidou (like) ngoh wuih gong (like) lidi sihchihng (like) soyih *(like) nogh mhji mgoh dimyeung (like) hoyih goijern" (I don't know I say these things, but I don't know how I can improve). It's so weird! haha! I have no idea I'm doing it so I'm not sure how I am supposed to fix something I don't realize I'm doing but the Lord will help me! Msai daamsaam! No worries! :)

     I hope all of you have a great week and enjoy the pictures below! This week was full of adventures! :)
Scripture of the Week: 2 Nephi 32:3 Don't just read the scriptures, feast on the scriptures and you will always receive guidance and revelation.
Quote of the Week:The gospel is a fountain of knowledge that never runs dry. There is always something new to learn and feel each Sunday in church, in every meeting, and in every verse of scripture. (Bishop Gerald Causse)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


Sister Luk and I made snickerdoodle cookies for our last district meeting as a district!


​So our distirct is being downsized because the Mandarins are going to the Tuen Mun district. So we celebrated our last district meeting together with cookies and ice cream (It was also Elder Cornilles' birthday so we had cake too!)

And then there were 6...

We ate at our bishop's house for dinner and this is what we had. It was soooo good!

I love Bishop Shum and his family!

Sister Viazzo and I went on 24-hour exchanges this week so that was a lot of fun! :)

Look at all those species of cockroaches! It's a shame I can't show you the albino ones....

And this is the result of coming home to a kitchen full of cockraoches.....

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment