Monday, August 8, 2016

Doing My Part

Leihdeih Hou!

     I'm afraid this week hasn't been too exciting. One thing that was exciting though is that Hong Kong has a No. 8 tropical cyclone warning and when that happens, missionaries are not allowed to go outside until it lowers to a No. 3 (The range is No. 1-3-8-10). It started Monday night and continued until Tuesday. We were concerned that we would not be able to go out at all on Tuesday because of the storm which would not have been fun. Being out on the streets is more exciting than being an apartment all day making calls and doing records. Luckily it went down to a No. 3 by the afternoon and we could go out. So I guess that was a little exciting. My first No. 8 storm lol!

     The past couple of weeks, Hong Kong people have discovered this game called "Pokemon Go." Does this sound familiar? I have a feeling it's a worldwide thing and popular in America too lol Anyways, it has it's pros and cons. The pro is that it gets more people out on the streets so that's awesome because that gives us more people to talk to when we are out finding. The con is that everyone is so busy playing Pokemon Go that they don't want to be bothered talking to us. Our bishop was so funny about it though. He told us to make our own Pokemon Go account so we can play with people and then invite people to church and tell them that maybe there is someone in our church building that they can play with (I'm not sure how this game works but I know there's one part where you need to be within proximity of someone else playing the game). Missionaries have seen mobs of people running from one place to another trying to catch a Pokemon but I have yet to witness this. I want to though! 

     So we have some more Book of Mormon miracles. We haven't calculated the totals for our whole zone, but between our 5 companionships, our district gave out a total of 285 Books of Mormon in 4 weeks. That's crazy! Our goal for our zone was 280 and the fact that the Lord made that happen in just our one really goes to show there are prepared people everywhere. You just have to follow the Spirit. There have been so many miracles from this Book of Mormon challenge our zone has set up. We have been able to find a new investigator named Laahn Je because we gave her a Book of Mormon on the street. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to give people a Book of Mormon on the street and they have denied me because they already have the Bible or they are Buddhist. That is when I start to bear testimony of the Book of Mormon and how much it has blessed my life and by the end of our conversation they are taking the book and profusely thanking me for giving them that Book of Mormon. 

     I know the Lord is helping us do His work in Hong Kong. I can testify that the Book of Mormon is true. It changes people's lives. I know without a doubt it has changed mine. I know that it is a source of personal revelation and it helps you gain a greater testimony of Jesus Christ. When you want to talk to the Lord, you pray. When you want the Lord to talk with you, you read the Book of Mormon. As missionaries it is so important to use the tools we have been given to do the Lord's work. The Lord has given us everything we meed, we now we have to use them and get to work. I love the Book of Mormon so much! If you haven't read it, go read it. I know it will be one of the best sources of truth and light in your life.

     I am lacking in stories and pictures this week, but I hope all of you know I love you and I love serving this mission! 
Scripture of the Week: 2 Nephi 4:34-35 We should trust in the Lord now and forever. I know He will give to those who ask. 
Quote of the Week: You can pray to know His will and with the honest desire to do whatever He asks you to do, you will receive an answer (Henry B. Eyring) 
Sister Maggie Shiffert


When you are stuck in your apartment because of a No. 8 tropical cyclone and decide to make oatmeal pancakes for lunch to pass the time :)

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment