Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Biyearly Blessing

Leihdeih Hou!

     I hope all of you had a great week! I know I did! This past weekend was amazing because we finally had the chance to watch general conference! I love general conference so much!!! ​And I think as a missionary, I have come to love it even more! How awesome is it that twice a year we get to hear from our current prophet and apostles and learn how we can be better disciples of Christ? All of the talks were so good! No, I luckily didn't have to watch it in Cantonese haha! All of the missionaries were in a separate room where we could watch it in English. I wish I had enough time to talk about each talk that was given, but these were some of my favorite quotes and thoughts on some of them. 

President Henry B. Eyring - "If you realize your faith is dying, you are blessed. Most people don't realize it's withering." I never thought of realizing my faith is dying as a blessing, but it's so true. It's a blessing to be able to realize it sooner rather than later so you can build it back up before it's too late. So if you feel your faith diminishing, don't fear. Now that you've acknowledged it, the Lord can help you build it back up stronger and better than ever. 

Elder Steven E. Snow- "Be humble before you have to walk through the valley of humility." 

Sister Cheryl A. Esplin - "Throw away the mirror and look out eh window." We can most definitely serve others more. Especially with everything that's going on in the world (I'm not actually sure what's going on, but there was a lot about refugees), we can always go the extra mile and serve one another. As a missionary, I serve many people everyday, but I know that I could still do more.  Love and service are the way to softened hearts and as you serve, other people can feel your love for them. . 

Bonnie L. Oscarson - "Get the gospel out of your head and into your heart." 

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf - "It doesn't matter hope we become lost. Because He loves you, He will find you." I love the parable of the lost sheep because it just goes to show how much Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us. As he said in his talk "God sees us as we truly are - worthy of rescue"

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk was my favorite. He just bears testimony with so much power and conviction, and his talk was nothing short of that. I loved his topic on improving. For me, I am constantly trying to improve my teaching skills, my Cantonese, my Christ-like attributes, etc. I would be lying if I said there aren't some times where I feel like I'm stuck. Not really getting getting worse, but not getting better either. But I low that the Lord is with me. As Elder Holland said, "God will never desert us. Never has. Never will." I know He is always with me trying to help me improve so that I can be the missionary He knows I can become. God is always by our sides, in good times and in bad. I loved how he said that "His help will be with us especially when we struggle...Strive with patience and perseverance." I am definitely going to have to work on that patience part, but I know the Lord will help me improve. I know He can help all of us improve! Just rely on Him. 

     I love all of you so much! I may be doing some good things here, but I know all of you are being awesome and doing even more amazing things over there! I hope you can take what you learned in general conference and really apply it in your lives. I personally know the Lord gave me a laundry list of things I can do to become a better missionary and disciple of Christ. Never forget the rely on the Savior. I know He will help you both in good times and in rocky times. Go out and serve others! I can think of no better way to feel the Lord's love. I know He has blessed me in more ways than I can count because of my service, and I can promise He will do the same for you :) Have a great week everyone!
Scripture of the Week: John 14:27 Even in a world full of challenges, the Savior promises we can always have peace if we rely on Him.
Quote of the Week: Our ability to have peace in the midst of trials depends on our ability to think of Christ (W. Christopher Waddell)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


General Conference selfie with some of the sisters in our zone 
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment