Monday, March 21, 2016

A Week of Inspiration

Leihdeih Hou!

     This week had a couple exciting things happen. The first was that we went on exchanges again and I left Yuen Long and went to Butterfly! It was a nice area and it was exciting to see a different part of the zone. I was paired with Sister Hoxer and she is super sweet. This is only her third transfer and she's already training, so she's an awesome missionary. I had fun learning how they do things in Butterfly. Some people don't like moving around during exchanges, but I think it's a great learning experience and a great way to see how other people are doing the work. 

     We also had stake conference and Elder Brent H. Neilson from the Seventy came and spoke to us! I have to admit, it was a little nice hearing a talk where I could understand everything that was being said haha! (He spoke in English and had a translator). He gave two great talks, one during the adult sessions and one during the general session. My favorite point he made was about burying our weapons of rebellion. He retold the story of the Lamanites in the Book of Mormon where they bury all their weapons and make a covenant with God to not fight anymore, and then he asked, "What are your weapons of rebellion?" It could be not keeping the Sabbath day, neglecting to read your scriptures, being prideful, anything. He explained that when we bury our weapons of rebellion, that is when we become truly converted to the Lord and this gospel. It was a really good self-evaluation question for me. I realized I have some weapons of rebellion I need to bury and I know that once I do, I will be an even better instrument in the Lord's hands and be able to better help the people I serve. So what are your weapons of rebellion that you need to bury in order to become converted unto the Lord?

     HIs wife also gave amazing talks. Sister Neilson made the point that the scriptures are the language of our Heavenly Father. So if we want to be able to communicate and understand what He is trying to direct us to do, we need to read our scriptures daily. I never thought of it that way, but it is so true! She also shared what she called The Parable of the Peach Tree. There are three types of people that approach the peach tree in different ways. The first group settles for eating the rotten fruit that has fallen to the ground. The second group climbs to the top of the peach tree to get the most delicious peaches. The third group knows the best fruit is at the top of the tree, but doesn't know how to reach it. We should be at the top of the tree hoping those on the ground climb to the top so they too can eat the sweet peaches/obtain the same wonderful blessings this gospel has to offer. 

     I hope all of you have a wonderful week and wonderful Easter! Remember the reason we celebrate Easter and ponder about how Jesus Christ and His Atonement has blessed your life. I know Christ and His Atonement has blessed me so much in my life and my testimony of our Savior and Redeemer only grows stronger every day. Happy Early Easter!
Scripture of the Week: 1 Corinthians 2:5 Put your faith in the power of God, not in the wisdom of man.
Quote of the Week: If you have been tempted to murmur, if you have doubt that leads to unbelief, if trials seem more than you can bear, turn to Him (Elder James B. Martino)

Sister Maggie Shiffert


Sorry for the lack of pictures this week, but here is one of me with Sister Hoxer!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment