Monday, December 21, 2015

Goodbye MTC, Hello Hong Kong!

Leih Hou Leihdeih!

     Well, I made it to Hong Kong! I can't talk much but I can let you know I am safe and doing great! It was crazy getting here because the first snow storm in Utah decided to happen the day we left. We sat on the plane at the SLC airport for 4 hours first waiting on the snow, then waiting on the captain to come, and then when they de-iced the plane, something was bent so we had to go take a different flight to San Francisco. Because of this delay, we missed our connecting flight to Hong Kong and had to take a different flight the next day. That day was completely hectic, but we received soooooo many miracles. We had the opportunity to share the gospel with so many people; I wish I could tell you about all the experiences. We got a hotel room so we didn't have to sleep in the airport and received food vouchers so we didn't have to worry about meals. Right before our flight to HK, a member insisted he fed all 17 of us before the plane ride. there was just miracle after miracleand I wish I could share all of them in detail! Just know that the Lord is watching out for all of us and we made it safe and sound to Hong Kong :)

     I am living in Yuen Long which is the "boonies/countryside" part of Hong Kong (basically like comparing Newnan to Atlanta). I serve in the Yuen Long 1st Ward in the New Territories Zone. It's actually cook because the church we meet in was the first church built in Hong Kong back in 1965. 
     
    My companion is Sister Redd and she is awesome! she is so sweet and patient with my lack on language skills and is always complimenting me on my Cantonese. She helps me learn new words and fix my tones, and she is just awesome :) Speaking of tones, I have done this a couple of times, but I have to be careful when I say Si Ji Muih because Si Ji can mean lion. So I've said "Hello I am lion!" That's kinda sad when you can't say your own name... Hahaha! I'm learning though!

     I love Hong Kong so much! It's definitely crazy busy, but it's still really cool! We walk and take the trains a lot but that's ok with me! :) I've already had so many miracles happen with teaching and seen so many miracles. Sister Redd calls me her little miracle worker but I think she's just being nice lol Our lessons have gone really well, we've been able to find the sweetest people on the streets. Fun fact: Because we live so far away from the city, we are able to knock on doors in the neighborhoods. That was a shock to me but I'm glad I get to do it! It's actually kinda fun. No getting the door slammed on you isn't fun, but I think I've experienced all the different ways people can either accept of reject you haha! Being in the field is SO different from the MTC, but I can definitely see the Lord's hand in the work and He is constantly raining blessings and miracles upon us! 

     I'm afraid the computer I'm using won't let me add pictures, but be prepared for next week! I hope all of you have an amazing Christmas this week, and remember the true meaning of it. If you haven't already, go watch the video "A Savior Is Born" on lds.org and you won't be disappointed! 

Merry Christmas! Singdaanjit Faailohk!
Sister Maggie Shiffert
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment